Thursday, July 14, 2011

MAKING EMOTIONAL TURNAROUNDS

Many years ago, in my first issue of THOUGHTS TO LIVE BY, I accidentally sent out an unedited draft. When I read what I had sent I was painfully embarrassed. Due to a mistyped word, an important idea had been changed into a dubious one. I thought, "I look like a fool. How could I do such a dumb thing?"

My agonizing self-recrimination went on for an hour or so until I couldn’t take it anymore and a higher part of me rose up and said, "This is an opportunity to practice a Life Mastery Training technique and make an EMOTIONAL TURNAROUND."

So I took a few deep breaths, accepted my human fallibility, forgave myself, looked for the humor in the situation, and had a good laugh at myself. Then I looked to see what I could learn from what had happened.

Soon I realized that to avoid making such a mistake again, I needed to improve my procedures for checking before sending out e-mail material. I also realized that I could write about this experience in my next issue as an example of how emotional turnarounds can be readily made.

With these two realizations, I not only felt much better, I felt inspired -- great positive energy rose up in me and I began to move ahead.

So when you feel bad about something you did, try this procedure. It may be difficult or seem impossible at first, but as we learn to accept our human fallibility, forgive and laugh at ourselves and then look for the good that can come, we increase our ability to make quick emotional turnarounds.

Practice this process when you mess up. You’ll suffer less and take another great step toward life mastery.

Goodness and joy to all, Joseph.

SPREAD AWARENESS ... FORWARD THESE THOUGHTS TO A FRIEND.